Riverside Women’s Reformatory with its goal of providing a rehabilitative program for women, is revisited here with an informative article by Lorraine Eaton, a volunteer at the prison for many years.
Established in 1921 by Lena Ross, the original prison as pictured on the cover, was transformed by Miss Ross into a home like atmosphere, furnished with kitchen, dining room, bedrooms for the women, and a chapel.
Following her philosophy of creating a normal environment, the women participated in outings to Lake Bomoseen; gathering around one of three pianos for an evening of songs; enjoying Christmas dinners; and contributing to work in the community.
After Miss Ross’ death, the program continued with her former assistant Helen Koltonski. A few years after her retirement, the Reformatory closed in 1966.
The lengthy article is accompanied by a variety of photographs adding additional interest.